Mermaid play dough

Play invitation inspired from a book.

Invitation to play
Following your children, interest is so important because it lights up your child spark. This spark will inspire them to let their creativity out through their play. My daughter is fascinated by a book that talks about princesses, mermaid, sea monsters…


So I made a 5min DIY: I did a mermaid roll. With a cardboard roll and a hot glue gun. I simply draw a mermaid tail style pattern with the glue gun.
I offer my daughter some playdough, some glass and plastic gems, I told her they were magic stones and I added the book.


She played for over an hour by herself It was incredible to see her playing like this. She was so focused on her play she was flicking through the pages of her book and was deciding on who she was going to create. The rolling pin she played with for 5min. But I believe that the set up with the mermaid touch lighted her spark and then she led herself her play.

  • Sensory play: touching, rolling, squishing the playdough... 
  • Language development (she was talking about her favorite characters making her own stories...) 
  • Problem-solving skills 
  • Imaginative play 
  • Focus on task: she played for over 1 hour then played an over 30min with her own toys( I found that creating an invitation that follows your child's interest help to build focus on a task and independent play.
Drawmeaship logo

Comments